I have had a lot of questions about which burs and sizes to buy when it comes to tube setting stones. Here are the tools I use every time I create my tube settings from scratch (or at least from a premade length of tube.)
- Thick walled Tube (outer diameter is .5mm larger than the stone I am using. The wall thickness is approximately .5+mm)
- Tube Cutting Jig
- Jewelers saw & Blades
- Miter Cutting Vise
- Files (flat, cuts 2 & 4)
- Burs (Setting and round)
- Calipers (Digital – I got mine at Harbor Freight)
- Bezel Setting Punches
Choosing the Right Bur
So how do you know which bur to use? You want to use a bur that is just slightly smaller than the diameter of your stone. For instance, if I have a 6mm stone that I am going to set, I would start with a 5.9mm round/ball bur to get the depth of the tube close to where I want it to be. Then I would switch to a 5.9mm setting bur to complete the setting.
The stones I tube set are typically 3, 4, 5 & 6mm. So here is what I use:
- 3mm stone
- 3.5mm outer diameter heavy walled tube (Rio 100452)
- 2.9mm Round ball bur ($3.40)
- 2.9mm Setting bur ($4.05)
- 4mm Stone
- 4.5mm outer diameter heavy walled tube (Rio 400427)
- 3.8mm Round ball bur (4.05)
- 3.8 Setting bur ($4.85)
- 5mm Stone
- 5.5mm outer diameter heavy walled tube (Rio 100429)
- 4.70mm Round Ball Bur ($4.75)
- 4.70mm Setting Bur ($5.35)
- 6mm Stone
- 6.5 mm outer diameter heavy walled tube (Rio 400431)
- 5.90mm Round Ball Bur ($4.75)
- 5.9mm Setting Bur ($5.35)
Of course, here is the video that I did that shows how I do some of my tube settings.
I hope that helps answer the questions regarding the size of burs and tubing. I know that rio also sells tubing for stones 1.5mm – 6.5mm every 1/2 size. If you need help figuring out which tubing and/or bur to buy, just let me know. Again, the email is at the top of the navigation bar for the blog.
All content and images on this blog are the property of Melissa Muir and use of them in any context is strictly prohibited unless written permission is first obtained. Please feel free to repin any of the pictures of pieces done by Melissa Muir only.