Tonight we had to finish one of our projects. The first night of class our instructor gave us a soup can and some raffia paper. The assignment was to make a vessel and support with the materials. We could add other materials but had to alter the materials she gave us.
I cut the bottom of the can off and then cut down the side. I rolled one end of the can over onto the other, drilled holes and attached it with copper colored brads. It was pretty ugly and still quite dangerous at that point. I had been playing around with some other jewelry techniques and had some copper tape sitting right by me. So I took that copper tape and edged around the sharp edges of the can. It was still quite ugly on the inside of the can so I cut some 40 gauge copper sheet and lined my little can. It was no longer ugly. At that point, my can had a pretty darn good self-esteem, especially when everyone saw it in class. They all ooh’ed and ahhh’ed, the can was happy, very happy.
The base was made with scrap copper pieces found in my classroom. I soldered a ring for the base and attached two longer pieces that swirl up and around to hold my sweet can in place.
I made a flower with the raffia paper, but it doesn’t have a very good self-esteem and didn’t want to be photographed, poor flower.
Here are the pictures of my altered soup can.