Well, it is Saturday, at least it is in my time zone. So I will reveal my project. Of course I just finished it up about an hour ago. LOL.
Welcome to all the Bead Soup Visitors. I am Melissa Muir. I am mainly a metalsmith but thought that this project would be a good exercise in creativity for me. I know we have a lot of blogs to visit, but stick around and check things out. I do a couple of fun features on my blog including Tool Time Tuesday (Tutorials and tool reviews, including videos) and Featured Artist Friday (Would you like to be featured?) There is a lot to be learned here on this blog and I would love to have you as a reader. You can subscribe in the upper right hand corner. Just enter your address and hit “Subscribe.” My blog will email you every time I make a post. Don’t worry, I won’t fill your inbox daily. I am lucky to get 2 posts a week at the very most.
This project didn’t turn out quite the way I was thinking it would. I actually went through a lot of wire that I ended up removing because it didn’t look quite right. I am still not entirely sure I like how it turned out, but it is cool because it was such a challenge for me.
The one thing I must say is that my partner Lois Moon, has a great eye for color and putting elements together. I would have never picked out the beads she did. It made this project easier because I didn’t have to do that part. This was very challenging for me and I am reminded why I don’t often work with beads. I still say that I am beading challenged and this project confirmed that once again. HAHA I am very excited to see what she did with the items I sent her. Please be sure to click on her name and visit her blog as well.
Well, without further ado, here is what I came up with. We were required to use the focal and clasp. I added copper wire and a copper back plate, along with a few amber and brown seed beads. The rest of the materials were supplied by Lois.
I forgot to take a picture of everything before I got started. So Here the pendant is mostly done.
the necklace is asymmetrical, and anyone who knows me know that this is very different and difficult for me. But it was kind of liberating at the same time. I did the asymmetry because I wanted to showcase the really neat hook.
The focal is a ceramic/porcelain floral design. I carefully riveted it onto a back plate of 24 gauge copper. I added a couple of hooks of 24 gauge wire and then riveted that back plate onto another back plate using sterling silver wire rivets.
This is actually the third rendition of the earrings. I had some real troubles trying to get them to match. I tend to go complicated and making a matching pair of complicated earrings is rather difficult. but I kind of like this pair.
Here is a close up of that really cool Sterling hook.
A closer look at the “Bead work” on the pendant. I attached the beads to the “hooks” I created in the first step of the pendant. Look, I used seed beads (GASP!!!)
Here is the back. Yes, I know I didn’t do a very good job at getting the spacing right, but it is too late now.
Thank you Lori Anderson for doing all of this, especially when life has been throwing such difficult curve balls your way! This was a great exercise and helped to push me a little when I was feeling sluggish.
Thank you Lois for the great blog feature and wonderful selection of beads. You have a wonderful talent and I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Be sure to stop by the Bead Soup Blog Party and visit the other 300+ blogs to see what others have come up with as well. Eye candy is always good for creativity.